When you’re planning a winter home sale, make sure to keep the essential tenets of staging in mind: Buyers need to see themselves in your home.
If you decide you cannot live through a holiday seasons without decorating your home, try to keep the decorations to a minimum. Don’t block or cover up important selling features such as fireplace mantels, stairs, and stained-glass windows.
- Tone down the size of tree. In place of a 10-foot tree, try decorating a table-top or smaller version.
- Stack wrapped presents in a closet or in one corner.
- Resist the urge to hang banners and use greenery instead such as evergreen or rosemary garlands.
- Display centerpieces made from pine cones or other wintry pieces of nature.
- Never leave candles burning unattended.
- Set a plate of cookies on the counter, next to festive paper napkins for guests.